Data Mismatch - Locking FAILED!
"Quality is the parent, the source of all subjects and objects." - Robert Pirsig
Welcome to ZMM Quality!
Teaching, Learning, and Exploring the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Here you will find photos, travel information, essays, and links a great many resources concerning the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (ZMM) by Robert Pirsig. This information has been collected through the collaborative efforts of many people. If you are one of those persons, Pirsig enthusiasts around the world thank you!
Explore this site and see what the efforts of so many Quality-minded people have accomplished!
July 2013 Marks 45 Years Since Robert Pirsig’s Original 1968 Motorcycle Trek
In July 1968, the Monday after a July 4th weekend, Robert Pirsig and his son Chris set out on the motorcycle trek that the novel Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is based on. ZMMQuality will commemorate this 45th anniversary this July with a series of special features revisiting Pirsig’s original trip and the corresponding passages in the novel on our website and on our ZMMQuality Facebook page.
Photos from the MSU Chautauqua Honoring Robert Pirsig Posted on ZMMQ Facebook Page
We’ve Moved! New Web Address
ZMMQuality is now on a new domain… venturearete.org. Please update your bookmarks and links with our new address: venturearete.org/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/Main/HomePage
We also have a new short link to the website: http://bit.ly/zmmquality
Please excuse any kinks with the website while we work them out… feedback on the website is welcomed! (Contact below)
ZMMQuality is Now on Facebook!
Please “LIKE” ZMM Quality’s new Facebook page where we will be sharing plenty of information and pictures for the Zen and the Art of Motorcycle/Robert Pirsig enthusiast including pictures from the recent MSU Chautauqua honoring Robert Pirsig. https://www.facebook.com/zmmquality
If you are a beginner, one of your first visits should be the pages opened by the links directly below:
1) For a brief introduction to the contents of the ZMM Quality Website see ZMMQ Site For Beginners.
Below you will find a series of announcements regarding projects that focus on Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
.. and/or relate to topics covered in Pirsig’s book, which has come to be recognized as a classic philosophical novel in the same vein as Siddhartha, Slaughterhouse-Five, The Plague, and Moby-Dick. Many of the projects featured below, and others equally worthy of attention, are also covered on the ZMMQ News & News Archive page.
Recent Conference at Montana State University Honors Robert Pirsig
Montana State University in Bozeman, MT held a Chautauqua honoring Robert Pirsig December 7th-9th, 2012 featuring several speakers, including ZMM Quality’s own sitemaster Henry Gurr and the debut of Lee Glover’s Meridian documentary.
Lee Glover’s Documentary Meridian Premieres Dec 8th at MSU Conference
Meridian, Lee Glover’s documentary movie marking forty years since Robert Pirsig’s original Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance trip from Minneapolis to San Francisco with his son Chris, premiered December 8th, 2012 at the MSU Chautauqua honoring Robert Pirsig in Bozeman, MT. A trailer for the film, including a short interview with ZMMQ site master Henry Gurr is available online.
2012 BBC Radio Dramatic Production of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Playwright Peter Flannery’s radio 2012 dramatization of Pirsig’s “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” stars James Purefoy and was nominated for best BBC radio drama.
A Very Good Interview with Robert Pirsig, Possibly his Last.
This new interview, by Tim Adams, contains information not previously seen.
This interview also contains Tim Adams’s own summary and observations regarding his conversation with Robert Pirsig. An interesting list of "ZMM Facts" comes at the end of the article.
I Want to Hear From You! Send Me an E-mail:
1) If you have some interesting new information or a story to tell. OR
Please Do Not Hesitate to Send an E-mail to HenryG*usca.edu (replace the asterisk with the appropriate character).
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on the ZMM Quality Website and and/or in association with the Robert Pirsig Photographs are entirely those of the Site Master, Henry Gurr. The contents of the site have not been approved by the University of South Carolina Aiken.
For more information, click on Legal and Copyright in the links menu at upper left.
Click here to return to the top of this Home Page:
Click here to go to the first albums of my Robert Pirsig and ZMM Photo Gallery: http://venturearete.org/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/gallery/
For additional information on the projects above, and for information on many other ZMM-related topics equally worthy of attention, click here to go to my ZMMQ News and News Archive Page:
Links to Additional Reading Related to the Above Material
ZMMQ Pages Containing Additional Historical Information:
1) Documents and Articles Concerning Sarah Vinke, Louis Vinke, and Robert Pirsig Found in the Archives at MSC/MSU and Tulane University
2) Photos of Faculty, Administrators, and Students at Montana State College: 1956-1960
3) “Books I’ve Enjoyed” by Sarah Jennings Vinke, with added commentary by Dennis Gary and Henry Gurr (Originally published, 1960, in the Montana Library Association Journal)
4) Commentary Regarding “Books I’ve Enjoyed” and Information About Viewing on the Internet
5) Henry Gurr’s Montana State University Archives Page
6) Pirsig Memory “The Divine Sarah”
7) Vinke, Pirsig, and the Origins of “Quality” and MOQ
8) Shirley Luhrsen and Sarah Vinke: Letters to and from Bozeman
ZMMQ Pages by Dennis Gary, a Former Student of Dr. Sarah Vinke at MSC/MSU:
9) Archives Commentary and Connections to Memories of Sarah Vinke, Louis Vinke, Allan Kittell, and Robert Pirsig
10) The Sarah Vinke of My Student Days A Student’s Memories of “Mrs.” Professor Sarah Vinke
11) Following the Footsteps of My Mentor, Professor Sarah Vinke: My Life as an English Teacher, and Other Memories
12) Dennis Gary’s Values in Thought and Action: My Standards at School and in My Career
13) Memories of Deer Creek Mountain Ranch (an MSC Faculty Outing)
Pages on the Internet Devoted to Robert Pirsig:
14) Anthony McWatt's Robert Pirsig Site
15) Ian Glendenning’s Pirsig Pages on Psybertron
16) Gary Wegner’s Travelogue of Pirsig’s 1968 Motorcycle Trip
Edited by David M. 4 July 2013.
|Recent Changes (All) | Edit Sidebar | Wiki Help | Page History | Edit Page||Powered by PmWiki|